Tuesday, July 1, 2008

The Doppler Effect

We had our second appointment today. Woot! It lasted for all of 8 minutes. Good thing they billed the insurance company $130 for it. Good thing we have insurance. I know doctors have to make money, it costs a lot to run a medical practice, but geez. Dr. M asked us roughly 12 times if we had any questions. We didn't. She asked if my hands and feet are swelling. They're not. She asked if I've had any bleeding or cramping. I haven't. You get the idea. Apparently, I am having a "textbook" pregnancy. Which is nice to hear. However, I guess I was looking for more. I don't know why I have such high expectations for each appointment. I better get it together, or I am going to spend the next 6 months pissed off with the people who are likely to bring my baby into this world.

The upshot of the appointment is that we got to hear the baby's heartbeat!!! Exciting! It was at 152, which Dr. M said is "what we're looking for." Honestly, it wasn't this life altering experience everyone else has said it would be, which was slightly disappointing, but I think I'm getting used to that feeling in the doctor's office. I'm getting more excited about it with distance. Now that I'm thinking about the ramifications of that noise, the reality is beginning to hit me. As Shawn said, "There really is a baby in there. You're not just shifting your weight." This also confirms my suspicion that there are not twins hiding in there. Only one hearbeat. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Erin said...

Congratulations! That's such a milestone, hearing the heartbeat. It's exciting for your readers if nothing else :-)

Soon you'll get to see your little one and feel him/her moving. It's the best!