Wednesday, July 23, 2008

How Impatient Can I Get?

I am not a patient person. Despite the fact that I work with toddlers, and have often been complimented on my patience in the classroom (does it count as patience if you're silently losing your mind while an 18 month old tries to put his own shoes on?), I deep down am very impatient. Waiting for food at restaurants is a clear cut affair - they have about 15 minutes. After that, and quickly after that, it's simply been too long. Anyone who knows me can probably think of other examples. I'm not much of a waiter. I've simply learned that no one likes to hear someone complain about long lines, waiting for food, or other everyday activities.

Since last week, when I read that I could potentially at some point in the future feel the baby move, I've been growing increasingly impatient. Never mind that everything I've read says somewhere between 16 weeks and 20 weeks. If some other lady can feel her kid move at 14 weeks, I'm going to try. So, every day, I try to lay on the couch or in bed and hold still and focus on my belly. Generally, there is not a whole lot going on. Also, I am somewhat easily distracted. I'll be laying there, thinking about the baby, and then realize that I am planning my grocery list instead of focusing. Woops. Today, I got my email from babycenter and it talked about feeling the baby move. That's it. I decided to try something slightly drastic instead of just waiting. Perhaps slightly unethical, but like I said, I'm very impatient. I went into the bathroom and shined a flashlight right up against my abdomen. Apparently, the baby did not care for that. It woke up, and has not stopped moving since. HA! Impatience rewarded.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Whoa, how cool! It's great, isn't it? I love that little flutter. Enjoy it for the next 20-22 more weeks, then you'll be begging for he/she to go back to sleep and get his/her parts out of yours :-)

Kate said...

That is beyond exciting Sandi. Of all the news about your pregnancy, this actually caused me to tear up a bit. I'm going to be an aunt!