Monday, June 23, 2008

Call me Preggo, not Tubbo!

A long time ago, when I thought of myself being pregnant, I immediately thought of myself about 6 or so months along - happily large, obviously pregnant to the world. Never, in the many years I have wanted to be a mom, have I considered this unfortunate netherworld of pregnant, but not quite showing yet. I had thought about how unfortunate it is that women aren't showing in their first trimester, exactly when they are so incredibly tired, hormonal, and might need the most support. (I have mostly considered this in the abstract) I have read articles about women's body image and how many women have a difficult time with their changing waist line. Pooh pooh, I thought. A sacrifice I will happily make - it's only temporary, and besides, people are nice to pregnant women. I mean, they may ask intruding questions, and everyone has an opinion, but generally speaking.... The point is, I am in this incredibly yucky in between state: "Pregnant or fat?" Now living amongst people I don't really know too well, I find myself REALLY concerned that they know this pony keg I'm carrying in my midsection is pure baby, not overindulgence. The thing I find most odd about this is that I never thought of myself as someone overly concerned with my body before. Turns out, I am secretly afraid of people thinking I'm overweight.

1 comment:

Erin said...

It is definately difficult to get used to for those first few weeks. I still have those at least weekly, "what do I really look like to others" thoughts, but you get used to it. Once I figured out how to get comfortable (in everyday and work clothes) then I felt so much better. I gave up pretty much all of my old clothes by 8-10 weeks. I have stuff you can go through...I continue to outgrow clothes on a weekly basis. I hope I'm almost done though, because they don't make normal clothes any bigger :-) Some may be really comfy for you. I like it so much now that I don't know if I want to go back to pants without elastic. I love them!