Wednesday, April 8, 2009

We've Got the Sniffles...

My poor little girl has her first cold. Somehow, she contracted it BEFORE starting school. Shawn and I can hear her on the monitor at night making beautiful music with her nose. That is, when we're not in her room snorking out her nose with that awesome blue bulb. Man, she LOVES that. I can't imagine being woken up by an inability to breathe only to have someone shove something plastic into my nose and forcibly drag snot out. What a way to spend an evening! Through it all though, she keeps smiling and playing. She hasn't acted sick at all, just coughing and sneezing and wheezing her day away. Of course, when I added the injustice of a few vaccinations to her day, she did hit the roof. And I don't blame her.

But I titled this post "We've" got the sniffles. No, Shawn and I are not sick. But I go back to work on Friday, and Em phases into the Nido tomorrow. WAAAAAAA!!! I am looking forward to being with my crazy little toddlers again, and I can't wait to have someone objective helping me out with Emmeline's napping issues, but I am shocked by how sad I am to think that somebody else will get to see all those post nap smiles, and hear her babbling all day. This is what (according to my research) 56% of mothers have to do. I know. Get over it. I will, but for now I'm shedding a little tear for the impossibly stupid laws that only allow a woman 12 weeks to take care of her infant before returning to work. As if 12 weeks could possibly be enough. Canadian mothers get 6 months, and most European moms get 1 year. And there are actually PACs here that claim that America is more family friendly than Europe. Get real.

No comments: