Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Bless Us, Every One

When we started saying grace before dinner with Emmeline, I wanted to keep it simple. To that end, we have always just said "Dear God, thank you for our food, and thank you for our family. Amen." I thought that was simple enough for a little toddler to grasp - to the point. Now that she's so very old, she likes to help me. Now, dinner goes more like this:
M: Dear God, thank you for our food
E: And our milk!
M: and our milk, and thank you
E: and our forks!
M: and our forks, and thank you for our family
E: and thank you for Jamie's blue elephant
M: yes, Lord, thank you for all the toys that we're able to give to our children. Amen.
E: You didn't say thank you for our dinner!
M: I did. You were too busy thanking God for everything else.

I like that she's so very thankful, but I'm also kind of hungry and would like to get to the eating part of our dinner. Bless her.

2 comments:

Kate said...

Does she know that she can be thankful at other times during the day?

Carolyn, Matt, Madison, and Sydney said...

:) Just wait until Jamie wants to add in his share! Our prayers often go for awhile... praying for every person in our family, every bite of food we'll eat, everything we did recently, etc. It's sweet and cute, but you're right, sometimes I just want to get on with it. ;)