Thursday, December 23, 2010

I Love Her Use of Words

As Emmeline and I were driving home from Party City today, she was playing with the balloon she had received from "a nice man" and chatting with herself. I heard her mention something about a dog, and started paying attention. She said, "'Snot a dog. 'Sa balloon. On leash. I have leash on a balloon." I was cracking up at her language. Of course it's a leash. What else do you hold onto to keep your balloon from running away? A leash, naturally.
We're keeping an almost running commentary on the litany of things that Emmeline can do that babies can't. She reminded me today that "babies can't have a cup." Nevermind that I had been telling her that babies can't have cupcakes, cups are more important. She was completely thrown when my mom told her babies can't talk. "Can't use a words?" She was so shocked by this information that she brought it up again, several times. "Babies don't talk." No surprise that Ms. Verbal Skills is concerned about a whole person who can't even communicate. She likes to tell us too about the many things she's going to share with the baby when it comes to our house, "in a spring." She will share her ball and her dog, but according to Em, "babies can't go in Meme's car." Hmmm. Nor in Meme's lap, or all of Meme's house actually. We'll be working on that one.

1 comment:

Jessie said...

Emmy just cracks me up. A balloon on a leash! Of course! I would never think of that. And that is why she is my hero.