Friday, September 4, 2009

Does This Qualify as a Life Event?

I finally did it. I have joined the legions of stay at home moms. SAHM. "Do you work?" I'm not sure how to answer that... for a paycheck? No. But, yes, I work.
Anyway, this new thing won't start until after Halloween. I gave my boss my notice today, but I gave them 8 weeks. I have a strong sense of guilt. I feel like I'm abandoning the kids in my class and their parents, so I wanted to give my boss a good long time to find a good replacement. I have two kids starting toileting in the next month, so I can't abandon them to some quack off the street. I know they'll all be just fine, but I still worry.
I worry a lot. About everything. What if I get bored? I'm used to working with lots of kids with various things going on, not just one kid. What if I end up with a spoiled rotten, Mommy's-girl who won't go to strangers and cries unless I hold her? What if I go crazy, having no me time? What if Shawn loses his job? What if I lose all sense of my identity? What if I worry about things so much I don't just enjoy my daughter, which is why I'm doing this in the first place?
I'm sure it will all work out in the long run.

4 comments:

Carolyn, Matt, Madison, and Sydney said...

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy for you!!! Maybe I just love love love being a stay at home mom too much, but seriously, it's awesome. You're welcome to come over for a playdate anytime! Let me know if you need ideas of things to do to fill your days. :)

Ginna said...

Congratulations Sandi - that's terrific! And of course you won't get bored. If nothing else you girls can come into the city and visit Auntie Ginna!

Erin said...

Holy Cow! That's awesome. I'm very excited for you and Emmeline, and a little jealous I must say ;-)

You'll be fantastic!

Kate said...

I don't know...being bored can lead to more babies. But more babies yeilds less boredom. Quite a conundrum.

Congratulations and YAY for being a domestic engineer!