Saturday, May 23, 2009

I Think I Could Win an Award...

for crunchiest hippie mom. I've already told my mom a slightly different version of this story. I will highlight the "Things White People Like" for you, in green. (appropriate, no?) A few weekends ago, I decided to take Emmeline with me to the Farmer's Market. I went to get her dressed, and put her in her cloth diaper. I made sure she had her Barack Obama onesie on - it's so cute! I packed her up, and loaded her carseat into my Honda Civic Hybrid. We drove to the Farmer's Market in Vienna. I put her into her Baby Bjorn carrier, and quickly picked out some organic produce. She started getting upset, so we drove home and I put her down for her morning nap. While she slept, I steamed the veggies and made some baby food for her. As my mom pointed out, the only thing missing was my Grande Skinny Vanilla Latte. So this weekend, Shawn and I thought we would make a repeat performance, with Starbucks. I swear, we don't set out to be like this. I guess we balanced it out by forgetting our reusable canvas grocery bag. We had to use a plastic one.
Honestly, I LOVE making her food! It takes no time at all, and is significantly cheaper than the jarred stuff, especially if I wanted to get her organic food. I can make small or large batches, then I freeze it. I have ready for her broccoli, green beans, carrots, sweet potatoes, pears and zucchini. That way, when she's ready for new tastes, I have some ready. And, the ice cube trays I use to freeze individual servings are about 1 oz each, so I know how much she's eating. Of course, I have to plug the machine my mom got for me: The Beaba babycook. It steams and purees in one piece. VERY easy. I'll post more pics as I take some.

1 comment:

Cassandra and Joseph said...

Mmmm. I don't know about that. You haven't started Potty Learning yet have you? Or diaper free time? I think the new mom's at my school have you way beat... of course in a "normal" environment you would definitely win!